You are here: NPIC Home Page —> Pesticides and the Environment
Pesticides and the Environment
The environment includes all of the living and non-living things that surround us, including the air, water, plants, soil and wildlife. Pesticides can be helpful in dealing with pests in our environment such as controlling invasive plant species that threaten native habitats. Pesticides have risks to the environment too, especially when they are used improperly.
Here are some tips to help minimize environmental risks when using pesticides:
- When pesticides enter our environment the ingredients and the conditions affect how long it will last, and where it will go.
- Read the pesticide label, including the "Environmental Hazards" section, and make sure you are following the directions to minimize the risks to the environment.
- Always dispose of unused pesticides properly.
- Consider adopting an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach to controlling pests. IPM practices are designed to have minimal impacts on the environment.
- When possible, try to use pesticides that are specifically designed for the pest you are trying to control, rather than broad-spectrum pesticides which are more likely to affect non-target organisms in the environment.
To learn more about pesticides and our environment visit these resources:
|Air and Pesticides||Wildlife and Pesticides|
|Water and Pesticides||Beneficial Insects|
|Soil and Pesticides||Pollinator Protection|
|Plants and Pesticides||Backyard Beekeepers|
If you have questions about pesticides in the environment, or any pesticide-related topic, please call NPIC at 1-800-858-7378 (8:00am - 12:00pm PST), or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Envirofacts System Data Searches - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Protect the Environment: At Home and in the Garden - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Protect the Environment: At Work - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Factsheet on Ecological Risk Assessment for Pesticides - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Ecological Risk Assessment for Pesticides: Technical Overview - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- EPA Regional and State Environmental Agencies - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Pesticide National Synthesis Project - U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
- Office of Hazardous Material Safety - U.S. Department of Transportation
- Emergency Response Guidebook - U.S. Department of Transportation / Transport Canada