International Pesticide Regulations
Different countries have different regulations, requirements and legal limits in relation to pesticides. Because of this, products or pesticides in the channels of trade may be subject to pesticide regulations from both the importing and the exporting countries.
Allowable Pesticide Residues on Commodities
Most countries, including the Unites States, regulate the amount of pesticide residue allowed on a given crop. The amount of pesticide residue allowed on a crop in one country may not be the same as the amount allowed on the same crop in another country. Imported crops are generally subject to the regulations of the country accepting the crop. Importers with questions about crop residues should contact the Regional Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Office representing the location where the import will enter into the Unites States for assistance.
- Pesticide Residue Limits (Tolerances) in the United States - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Pesticide Residue Limits in Many Countries - USDA/FAS
Import and Export of Pesticides
The EPA regulates the import and export of pesticide products in the United States.
- Any pesticide produced in a foreign nation must first be registered with the EPA before it can be imported into the United States.
- When EPA-registered pesticides are exported, they must be shipped with EPA-approved labels. The receiving country may require additional labeling to accompany the shipment.
- Some pesticides that are not EPA-registered may be manufactured in the U.S. and shipped to foreign nations.
- International Activities - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Regional EPA Offices - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Import and Export Trade Requirements - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Importing and Exporting Pesticides and Devices - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Importing and Exporting Pesticide Products - The Border Center
- U.S. and International Pesticide Residue Limits - USDA/FAS Online
- Indexes to Part 180 Tolerance Information for Pesticide Chemicals in Food and Feed Commodities - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Aircraft Disinsection Requirments - U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
- International Websites on Pesticides - OECD
- Pesticide Contacts for Middle Eastern Countries - NEPPO
- Canada: Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA)
- Codex Alimentarius Commission
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- World Health Organization
- UK Chemicals Regulation Directorate