Iron and phosphate are found in the environment, foods, and water. When combined and formulated, the granules can kill slugs and snails when eaten. Iron phosphate is Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA). However, if any animal eats too much iron, it can cause stomach upset and other problems. After application, iron and phosphate tends to stay put, sticking to soil particles.
- Fact Sheet for Iron phosphate - Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Toxicology Brief: The Toxicity of Iron, an Essential Element - ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
- Technical Document for Iron Phosphate (BRAD) - Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Iron Phosphate - Thurston County Health Department
If you have questions about this, or any pesticide-related topic, please call NPIC at 1-800-858-7378 (8:00am - 12:00pm PST), or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.