1.800.858.7378 npic@ace.orst.edu
We're open from 8:00AM to 12:00PM Pacific Time, Mon-Fri

PestiBytes Episode 7: Could Snail Bait Hurt My Dog?

headphones Introduction/Conclusion: Dr. Dave Stone, Director of the National Pesticide Information Center
Host: Sandra Uesugi, EHSC Outreach Program Coordinator
Guest: Matthew, NPIC Pesticide Specialist
[THEME MUSIC]

DR. STONE: Welcome to PestiBytes, a podcast series from the National Pesticide Information Center. These are based on common pesticide questions from people just like you.

[THEME MUSIC]

SANDRA: This is Sandra and I'm talking with Matthew today about slug and snail baits. Some of the warnings on these products say they can be fatal to dogs. Are these things that dogs like to eat?

MATTHEW: Some slug and snail products contain an active ingredient called metaldehyde which is often formulated with things like bran or molasses in order to make it more attractive to the slugs and sails and this can also make it attractive to dogs as well.

SANDRA: What happens if a dog eats some of the bait?

MATTHEW: Signs of poisoning from metaldehyde you might expect to see include panting, drooling, vomiting, and fever progressing to uncoordinated walking, muscle twitching, tremors and convulsions. And these signs may appear rapidly within minutes up to three hours after it has been eaten.

SANDRA: What can people do to protect their dogs from poisoning?

MATTHEW: Things that people can do are storing the product in an area where the pet will not have access to the product as well as keeping the dog out of the area while the product is being applied and until the product is no longer visible where it was applied.

SANDRA: What should a pet owner do if their dog eats slug or snail bait?

MATTHEW: In the event that a dog has ingested a slug or snail bait, especially if it's showing signs of having been poisoned already, then it's really important to get your dog to a veterinarian for immediate medical attention.

SANDRA: Thanks, Matthew!

MATTHEW: Thank you!

[THEME MUSIC]

DR. STONE: If you have questions about pesticides, please call us at 1-800-858-7378 or visit us on the web at http://npic.orst.edu. PestiBytes is brought to you by the National Pesticide Information Center, a cooperative agreement between Oregon State University and the Environmental Protection Agency. These are produced in collaboration with OSU's Environmental Health Sciences Center, funded by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.

Return to PestiBytes PODcasts

If you have questions about this, or any pesticide-related topic, please call NPIC at 1-800-858-7378 (8:00am - 12:00pm PST), or email at npic@ace.orst.edu.

Last updated May 10, 2011

Related Topics:

What are pests?

Learn about a pest

Identify a pest

Control a pest

Integrated Pest Management

What are pesticides?

Herbicides

Disinfectants

Fungicides

Insecticides

Natural and Biological Pesticides

Repellents

Rodenticides

Other types of pesticides

Disponible en español

Facebook Twitter Youtube