1.800.858.7378 npic@ace.orst.edu
We're open from 8:00AM to 12:00PM Pacific Time, Mon-Fri


Copper is a naturally occurring metal, which is found in rocks, soil, water, and air. Small amounts of copper are necessary for healthy plants and animals, but too much copper can be toxic. In the environment, copper becomes strongly attached to the organic components of the soil and is not likely to move very far in soils. Dissolved copper compounds can also bind to organic particles suspended in the water and settle out in the sediments of ponds, lakes, and rivers. Copper compounds are commonly used to control algae in water, to treat plant diseases, and to preserve wood, leather, and fabrics.

If you have questions about this, or any pesticide-related topic, please call NPIC at 1-800-858-7378 (8:00am - 12:00pm PST), or email us at npic@ace.orst.edu.

Additional Resources:

Return to Information on Specific Types of Wood Preservatives

Last updated December22, 2015

Related Topics:

What are pests?

Learn about a pest

Identify a pest

Control a pest

Integrated Pest Management

What are pesticides?





Natural and Biological Pesticides



Other types of pesticides

Facebook Twitter Youtube