1.800.858.7378 npic@ace.orst.edu
We're open from 8:00AM to 12:00PM Pacific Time, Mon-Fri

Lice

Lice can be transferred from one person to another by direct contact. They generally require some form of treatment. Infestations are often treated with low concentrations of medicated (insecticidal) shampoos, sprays or lotions, which are available over the counter. Because these products contain insecticides, it's very important to read and follow the label directions to avoid over-exposure and prevent poisoning. Most shampoos are not effective against lice eggs, known as nits.

Head lice outbreaks are common in schools. If you or your child has lice, the following links should provide you the necessary information to understand how lice are transmitted, what to do with the items in your home, and how to treat the lice themselves. If your child has lice, consider consulting your pediatrician for advice, and notifying your child's school about the situation.

If you have questions about this, or any pesticide-related topic, please call NPIC at 1-800-858-7378 (8:00am - 12:00pm PST), or email us at npic@ace.orst.edu.

Head Lice

Body Lice

Pubic Lice

Last updated February 19, 2016

Related Topics:

What are pests?

Learn about a pest

Identify a pest

Control a pest

Integrated Pest Management

What are pesticides?

Herbicides

Disinfectants

Fungicides

Insecticides

Natural and Biological Pesticides

Repellents

Rodenticides

Other types of pesticides

Disponible en español

Facebook Twitter Youtube